10 February 2010

The First Option Doesn't Always Make the Best Choice

The wedding planning process is definitely a learning experience. There are endless numbers of people and businesses offering various services to brides with varying tastes and budgets. From $500 photographers to budget-friendly BBQ caterers, there are tons and tons of options for wedding service providers.

One thing I've learned throughout my planning process is that the first great provider that comes along (a) may not be as great as they seem and (b) may not be right for my particular function.

Caterer:
I thought I had hit the jackpot when I found a caterer offering paella and cilantro steak for prices starting at $9.50 per person! INCLUDING all related sides! I couldn't wait to arrange a food tasting and sign a contract! The company was super accomodating and friendly and offered four entrees that feeds four people complimentary, and even opened on a Sunday just for me. I arranged for my bridal committee to get together at my place to sample what I knew was going to be a good meal. I was so sad to find out that the food tasted a slight step above frozen microwaved meals. I tried to make myself enjoy it because I just wanted so badly to mark something off my to-do list at such an affordable price. But no matter how badly I wanted to secure this caterer, I had to pass.

Photographer:
I was stunned to discover that wedding photography costs so much! But after my endless internet searching and seeing how beautiful wedding photos can be, I had set the bar pretty high for what I want in my wedding photographer. Eclectic, unique photos to capture those special moments and touches of my day, that's what I want. So when I perused craigslist and found a local photographer that described her services as just that, I was excited that she was giving away free engagement sessions! Sign me up! We picked out our outfits, selected a local botanical garden, and did our modeling. As we were being photographed, there was no way I thought this could go wrong! Once we said goodbye to the photograher, I requested that she send me her wedding pricelist because I just knew she would be the one! The problem was that her professionalism was not quite up to par, and once we finally received the engagement photos...I was disappointed to say the least. How could a great backdrop like the garden, and this fly dress come out looking so BAD??? She took HUNDREDS of pictures and I could barely pick out 13 pictures that I thought were just OK. And it's been four months, and after three requests, I still never received her wedding price list. No matter how great it was to have a free engagement session, and should I have seen her price list, even if it was super affordable, it's not worth it if you end up with an unprofessional photographer and pictures that you are not pleased with.

Dress Vendor:
For the bride, the dress is pretty darn important. It can also be the one thing, aside from the venue and catering, that hijacks the budget. For me, I don't need a $5,000 dress. I don't even need a $500 dress. I would prefer to spend less than $200 on a dress if I can work it. But...I also like something that makes the dress unique. I have nothing against simplicity, but I'd prefer a style that stands out and offers something unique. So managing a budget versus taste, it can get hard to find that balance. One option that has been extremely tempting is getting a dress custom made from one of the many Chinese dress wholesalers. A bride will send their measurements, pay a couple hundred dollars, and get a dress that looks just like your favorite Gossip Girl's. Now...that's the ideal situation. What you cannot be certain of is whether the dress will look like what you imagine, whether they will use the fabrics they promise, or whether the dress will come in the promised timeframe. Because the U.S. doesn't have any jurisdiction in China, there really are few guarantees. Feedback on these various sites is a little hard to rely on. It's hard to know whether the feedback is from actual customers or from the company posing as customers. There's also no way of knowing whether all feedback had been posted or if only the positive feedback. It truly is a gamble dealing with these overseas manufacturers. Depending on how much money is in your budget and how much lead time you have before your wedding, the gamble may be worth it.

When selecting your vendors, your budget should be an important consideration. Stay mindful of the tone you want to set for your wedding, the moments you want to capture, and the things that are too important to skimp on. While I want things to look perfect, it just isn't important to me whether I have the flyest dress on the market or a four tier, butter cream cake of perfection. I want a unique dress and even if it's free...my cake needs to be yummy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment