03 September 2009

Rockwood Manor

AND THE WINNER (so far..) IS!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My mother, aunt, cousin, and I headed out for a girls’ day to look at two wedding venues in Montgomery County. One, I knew was a long shot, and I was only going just so I could say I looked at it. The other, I swore was THE PLACE.

So we get to Rockwood Manor, the long shot, and I FELL IN LOVE! Lots of beautiful trees, plenty of parking, beautiful grounds, and a fantastic building! After doing the tour and seeing all of the space and options that the venue had to offer, I knew I’d be hard pressed to find a place that I loved more. Unfortunately, the price tag was far beyond what I anticipated paying for a venue.

When we got to The Lodge at Seneca Creek, aka THE PLACE, I just couldn’t get excited. Pair that with the fact that whoever was supposed to be there to give us the tour was NOT there, I was immediately OVER IT. Not to say that The Lodge at Seneca Creek was not beautiful, because it was. The grounds were encompassed by hills and hills of trees. The lawn was very well manicured, and I could just imagine the set up for the ceremony. But it was no Rockwood Manor. Seneca Creek was a “day-of” type venue. Get in early (the day before if you are lucky), set up, have ceremony, cut cake, dance, take down decorations, leave! And don’t forget to say many many prayers that it doesn’t rain. Rockwood Manor was a retreat-style venue. Arrive on Friday, mingle with relatives, have rehearsal and rehearsal dinner, decorate, play games, wake up the next day, get ready, have ceremony and reception, linger and mingle, and take down decorations and pack up on Sunday. Ahhh…wasn’t that nice…?

At Rockwood Manor, the Plan B options made me happy. At Seneca Creek, though I couldn’t get in, a peek through the windows let me realize that Plan B was probably going to be to squish inside the reception area and make it work.

Seneca Creek looked like it wasn’t quite handicap-friendly. It’s set on a huge hill. The ceremony would be down the hill on the grass, and the reception would be inside, up a lot of stairs, and it didn’t look like there was any way to get from one place to the other for people that were elderly or unable to walk. Rockwood Manor had lots of pathways that could facilitate a wheel chair, and also had an elevator inside.

Ultimately, I am leaning towards Rockwood Manor. I’ve tentatively reserved my dates and am doing some last minute re-budgeting and planning to make sure that I can use Rockwood Manor and still slide in within budget.

0 comments:

Post a Comment